Watersports Instructor & Day Yacht Skipper
Watersports Supervisor & Yacht Manager
Full Season: May to September / Peak Season: July to September
You will have a passion for watersports and have the ability to live and work in a small team. You will be self-motivated and able to work without supervision. You will be required to be creative, supportive, hardworking and confident in your own teaching methods. When working at the beach as an instructor your main day to day tasks will include: preparing the equipment and teaching areas for guests, cleaning and de-rigging equipment at the end of the day, providing safety cover on the water, teaching a range of watersports sessions. When working on the yacht your main duties will include passage planning, boat preparation, safety checks, basic sailing instruction, taking overall responsibility for the boat and crew.
Working with the support and guidance of your line manager you will be responsible for ensuring all activities are delivered in accordance with both Trek and RYA guidelines. During your first week of work you will shadow more experienced staff until you are confident working on your own. Excellent customer service skills and a friendly approachable style are essential in ensuring we provide a safe and enjoyable experience for all our guests.
Basic hours are 09:00 to 18:30. However, this will vary day by day. Some evening work may be required on occasion. Work is carried out 6 days a week. Working hours are flexible to the needs of the company. It is really important that all our staff recognise the need to be flexible in their approach to work. The very nature of our jobs means that no two days are the same. Your on-water plans will need to be flexible to the needs of your group and the weather conditions. Your daily routine will need to be flexible to the requests of the guest. At times, you may be required to take on extra duties. At times, you may be required to work at a different centre.
Please note that we employ 2 people in this role. This means that you alternate between being a Watersports Instructor for a week and being the ‘duty’ Day Skipper for a week. When you are the ‘duty’ Day Skipper you will work on the beach on any day that we have no Day Yacht bookings. In the low season this typically means that you are on the beach most days. In high season this typically means that you are on the yacht most days.
It is a really exciting and unique job role as you can enjoy being part of the beach team whilst also enjoying the daily variety that comes from working on the yacht. The responsibility that comes with the Day Yacht Skipper should not be underestimated. It is a great opportunity for a confident, bubbly instructor to enjoy many days afloat with our guests. However, you are alone on the boat with a crew of novice sailors and during that time you are responsible for their safety and their enjoyment. You will need to be very confident in your own sailing skills, in your own organisation skills and in your own customer service skills. You will plan the daily route, the stopping points and the lunch location. Of course full training on the daily routine will be given, including a familiarisation tour of the local sailing area, but a degree of confidence and past experience is essential to ensure you enjoy this role to the full.
We pride ourselves on offering our staff a different experience. We do all we can to ensure that your time with us is rewarding and enjoyable. We aim for all of our staff to finish their time with us having gained new qualifications and/or experiences to help further their career. We value all of our hard-working staff and love seeing teams building new friendships and enjoying their work year after year. If you want to learn new skills, make lifelong friends, experience a different way of life and immerse yourself in a small Greek community, this is the job for you.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
(This list is not exhaustive)
- Attending daily staff meetings
- Unlocking and securing the centre and equipment
- Dealing with customer enquiries
- Creating safe and fun sessions plans
- Instructing guests of all ages and all abilities
- Weekly maintenance checks of the beach and yacht equipment
- Actively promoting sessions and generating bookings
- Ongoing training to improve job related skills
- Rigging dinghy and windsurf equipment
- Rigging the yacht independently
- Carrying and moving heavy equipment
- Equipment maintenance
- Power boat driving (safety cover)
- Manning the safety tower
- Cleaning beach equipment and cleaning the centre
- Cleaning the yacht
- Litter picks and emptying bins
- General site DIY tasks
- Dealing with first aid needs
- Preparing and delivering yacht boat papers
- Obtaining weather forecasts and formulating yacht route plans and emergency plans
- Socialising with guests
- Organising daytime and evening social events, such as BBQ’s and volleyball
- Assisting with non-inclusive events, such as Yoga and Scuba Diving
- RYA Sailing or Windsurfing Instructor (ideally both)
- RYA Coastal Skipper
- RYA Power Boat level 2
- First Aid Certificate
- Experience of skippering a yacht with a novice crew is essential
- Clean DBS check
- Competent Swimmer
- Yacht engine maintenance skills advantageous
- Ability to work well within a team
- Clean and tidy appearance
- Excellent customer service skills
- Proven track record of excellent problem solving and use of initiative
- Over 20 years of age
- Valid UK or International driving license (desirable)
What We Offer...
- Competitive Salary: With 2nd year increase for returning staff.
- Flights: To and from Greece at the start and end of your contract.
- Transfers in Greece: Between the airport and your accommodation at the start and end of your contract.
- Accommodation: 2 people in each bedroom with a communal kitchen and shared bathroom facilities.
- Utility Bills: Accommodation bills are paid by the Company.
- Insurance: Whilst working you are covered under our Public Liability and Professional Indemnity policies. In addition, you will need to take out personal travel insurance for injury and belongings.
- Uniform: T-shirts are provided for working hours. Please provide your own clean, presentable, suitable shorts.
- Day Off: All staff work a six day week, with the exception of Flotilla Staff. Flotilla working patterns are detailed at interview.
- Holiday Allowance: In addition to one day off each week, you will receive a set number of holiday days, dependant on the length of your contract.
- Travel to Work: Transport options are provided for all staff working outside of the local area.
- Watersports Equipment: All staff have free access to all watersports equipment, in line with the Company safety policies and procedures.
- Yacht Use: All staff have free access to yachts, when booking availability allows and in line with the Company safety policies and procedures.
- Hotel facilities: All staff have free access to our beach club facilities such as swimming pools and table tennis.
- Watersports Staff Lunch: Lunch is provided at the beach clubs for all watersports staff on working days.
- Yacht Staff Lunch: Details are provided upon application or at interview.
- Staff Discount: All staff receive a discount on food and drink at our Beach Clubs.
- Activity Discounts: All staff receive discounts at our local partners for activities such as Scuba Diving, Waterski, Wakeboarding and Yoga.
- Friends and Family Discount for Trek Holidays: F&F discounts are available for use outside of peak season.
- Mystic Watersports Discount: All staff are entitled to 40% off RRP on Mystic Watersports apparel if purchasing through our Trek discount process.
- Training: All staff receive a comprehensive induction on arrival to ensure you are confident and happy in your job role. Throughout the season you will be offered further training and development opportunities.
- Training Bursary: All staff automatically qualify for a £50 training bursary towards job-related courses. In addition, all staff have the opportunity to apply for a 50% ‘grant’ for promotion related courses. This grant is only applicable to job related courses which help support the company aims.
- Bikes: Bikes are available for the duration of your contract. They are very basic but good enough to get around the local town on.
- Job Swap: As part of our commitment to staff development we offer hard working staff the opportunity to sample different job roles throughout the season when operations allow.
The team is everything.
Whilst enjoying your work and the lifestyle that comes from living in Greece, you must always be respectful of those around you. This includes your team mates, our guests, our hotel staff, your landlord, your local neighbours and the local community as a whole. We are very fortunate to live and work in such a beautiful part of the world. We are very lucky to be welcomed into the local community.
As such we only employ staff that we feel are mature enough to embrace the instructor lifestyle without causing upset or offence to our local friends and neighbours. If you are a mature, hard working, enthusiastic and fun instructor, with a passion for watersports then we’d love to hear from you.