FLOTILLA 1ST MATE
April – October
Working under the Flotilla Skipper in this hands-on role, you will be responsible for the day to day running of the fleet of yachts ensuring standards are maintained to a high level, safety for guests is ensured and yacht courses are delivered to IYT guidelines.
Under the Flotilla Skipper ensure that all aspects of our flotilla holidays are delivered to Sea-Trek standards, providing an enjoyable and safe experience for all guests.
Key persons who you will be working alongside include our Flotilla Skipper and Yacht Manager.
With up to 50 people per week of various ages/abilities/backgrounds on the yachts; excellent customer service and a friendly approachable style is incredibly important.
Flexibility in the job role is required as you are likely to undertake duties that are outside your normal role.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
- As the 1st Mate it is your responsibility to oversee the ‘front of house’ side of the flotilla. Along with the Skipper, you will give daily briefings, and necessary information on each day’s itinerary.
- Assist clients with departing and berthing in ports and lunch time anchorages (if required) to ensure optimum welfare or clients and boats.
- Providing informal tuition to clients who lack experience and confidence. Often as part of a 2 day “brush up” course.
- Organise, oversee and assist in change around day yacht cleaning, laundry, welcome packs and preparation for arrival of clients. Ensure client transfers to/from airports/bases run smoothly. Welcome clients on yachts and provide briefings.
- Help with any ongoing maintenance of all flotilla yachts whilst away from base, including marine systems, engines, electrics, plumbing, sails and rigging – prior experience not necessary.
- Working closely with local suppliers for the provision of services.
- Ensure adequate cover is available at all times on and off the water in accordance to company standards
- Responsible for day to day bookkeeping. Liaise with Skipper and Base Manager over spending and accounts.
- You need to be able to solve problems, and make decisions under pressure.
- You may be called upon when off duty to help.
- Approachable, friendly, professional and flexible are all qualities that are required for the job.
- You must be certain that you can live in close confines of a yacht with the skipper.
- On free sailing days on duty cover making sure clients are happy to sail by themselves and briefing them on the conditions.
- RYA Coastal Skipper or Yachtmaster qualification
- RYA Powerboat L2
- Valid First Aid Certificate
- Yachting/Dinghy Teaching Experience (essential)
- Some yacht maintenance experience
- Experience working on yachts
- Previous customer service experience
- Skilled in safety and on the water rescue techniques
- Competent Swimmer
- Good Team Member
- Over 20 years of age and hold a UK National Insurance no. and UK Bank Account
- Valid UK Driving License (desirable)
- Competitive salary with benefits
- Live aboard shared yacht (own cabin)
- Return flights to/from UK (London airports)
- Free use of beach equipment
- 1 day off per week
- Friends and family holiday discount (out of high season school holiday periods)
- Integrity and a to be proud to work for Trek-Adventures
- A mature approach to working with a small team
- Flexibility is key
- Great organisation skills
- Self-motivation is needed!
- On time, all the time
- Fantastic organisational skills
- Able to work under some pressure and solve problems
We pride ourselves in offering our staff a different experience. If you want to experience living in Greece and immersing yourself in Greek culture in a small community, you will love this job.
Please bear in mind that this job is suitable for someone who is happy to work within a small team, sometimes unsupervised. As well as working with our English team, you will be working alongside the local Greeks. Independence and maturity are therefore essential.
DOES THIS SOUND LIKE YOU?
Please send us an up to date CV along with a picture of yourself to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure you clearly indicate the dates you are available from/to and include full contact details along with your DOB. Interviews will be held in Kingsbridge – Devon, or via Skype.