May to October
If you’re a natural leader who thrives under a little pressure, this is the job for you.
We offer this exceptional opportunity to a confident, self-motivated manager with strong leadership skills and a commitment to providing outstanding customer service. You will need broad knowledge of the leisure industry, with a specific focus on the delivery of yachting experiences and holidays. This combination of general leisure and yachting skills will help to ensure that all aspects of our guests holidays are delivered to the highest standards. The Yacht Manager is responsible for all operations regarding yachting experiences from our base in Kefalonia. This includes the Flotilla, Charters, Day Yacht Bookings and the Learn to Sail product. A full understanding of each holiday product and a keen eye for detail are essential.
As the Yacht Manager you will be involved in ALL aspects of the guests holiday, from the point of arrival in Greece, to the day they leave. You can consider your role to have 3 key elements: Product Delivery, Guest Interaction and Administration.
With regard to the Product Delivery your primary aim is to provide a fun, educational and safe environment for our guests to enjoy sailing. In order to do this you will support and guide your staff team to ensure that all activities are strictly adhering to Trek and IYT guidelines. You will mentor the staff and ensure they are actively adhering to guidelines and standards. You will be responsible for their training and development. The delivery of training may be shared with other experienced staff, but it is your duty to ensure that all staff receive a full induction and ongoing training throughout their season. With regard to flotilla staff, the induction aim is that the yacht manager will go on flotilla with the crew for the first week of season.
You will ensure that all activities we offer, both on and off the water, are exceeding guest expectations and that customer service levels are consistently exceptional. In order to do this you will need to be confident in the details of all the yachting products that we offer and all of the staff roles that you oversee. This includes cleaners, trainers, skippers (including the day yacht skipper), mates and engineers. You will need to understand the importance of staff briefings, activity planning and maintaining a strong oversight of all areas of delivery. You will need to implement key working practices within your team that ensure you are aware of all operations at all times. For example, regular staff meetings, enforcing routine maintenance checks and providing training packs for guest tuition are all key ways in which you will maintain ownership and responsibility of the product delivery.
A key part of successful product delivery is maintaining a positive, skilled and customer-focused yacht team. You will lead by example and always find some time within your weekly routine to offer support to your team. This weekly support will help promote a strong team atmosphere. You will be responsible for motivating your staff and promoting a positive team spirit with all staff. Ensuring you have a happy and motivated team is a key aspect of your role. Your hours will be longer than your staff, but you yourself will need to remain motivated at all times, understanding that extra work and extra responsibility is why you receive extra pay. You must also understand that organising staff socials and morale boosters as part of your job. As such this may mean working in the evenings to organise such events as team meals, staff training or staff awards nights. Staff welfare is a key part of your role.
You will work in a hands-on delivery role, as a yacht trainer 3 days a week. At times you may also need to work in other hands-on roles such as flotilla skipper or boat cleaner. This will be your decision in accordance with operational needs at the time, and in accordance with the ability of your team to cover such roles. This means that being qualified and experienced in all the activities we offer, is hugely advantageous to your application.
You will liaise with the local Operations Manager with regard to bookings and staff rotas. You will need to be very clear on your team’s qualifications and abilities, in order that you can recognise key team members and delegate responsibilities to them.
Another key part of successful Product Delivery is being able to build positive relationships with suppliers and owners. You and the local Operations Manager are the key liaisons between Trek and our suppliers and owners. You will need to establish clear communication systems and working processes with them.
As the Yacht Manager, you are the face of the company when it comes to all things yachting related. You will need to be confident meeting and greeting guests, welcoming them to their holiday and ensuring they know who you are. It is important that all guests have a key point of contact should they need assistance at any point during their holiday. This assistance may be a minor enquiry such as transfer times or a major enquiry such as a first aid requirement onboard. Whilst on many occasions the guests will have more immediate staff available to them, it is important that they know that the manager is available 24/7 and is easy to contact. The management team in resort will establish a duty manager rota for antisociable hours.
In order to ensure that all guests meet, know and have access to the yacht manager you will be required to work on changeover days. This will allow you to meet most of the guests, those that you do not meet then, you will introduce yourself to the following morning.
For further guest interaction and product management, when possible you will aim to meet the Flotilla on-route. This is certainly a regular requirement of early season, but as your Flotilla team grow in confidence and ability you may decide that a regular meet is no longer required. Throughout the season you will have daily contact with your flotilla team to ensure that the guests and staff are happy, and to ensure that you are fully aware of the weekly events/route/problems/positives.
With regard to office duties, you will not have a fixed office base, but will work in a location of your choice. You will complete regular administrative, reporting and accounting duties. These will generally be dictated by your ‘weekly manager checklist’ and will include such tasks as: rotas, weekly manager reports, petty cash reports, and KPI reviews.
At the start of the season, pre-guests, you will be asked to review existing documents in order to improve them year on year. You will do this with the support of your Operations Manager and your input will be key to ensuring the yacht program runs in accordance with your wishes. Such documents will include guest training packs, company operating manuals, maintenance reporting logs and risk assessments.
You must be inventive and confident in creating ideas that will generate revenue. Generating revenue is a key part of the managers job role. Our centres must be performing well financially in order to ensure the centres, and the product as a whole, continue to grow and improve year on year. In-resort you will be working closely with the Watersports Resort Manager and the Greek Operations Manager to understand their job roles and recognise the need for mutual support across the Trek program. As a combined management team you will work towards new ideas for generating revenue in the resort.
You will work with, and report to, the UK Operations Manager. Together you will troubleshoot issues, support your team and be passionate about maintaining exceptional standards at all times. Full training on all paperwork tasks will be given at the start of the season and ongoing support will be provided throughout your contract.
Balancing all 3 aspects of your role requires strong time management skills and strong organisational skills. You will always be looking ahead, planning for future weeks and ensuring that your team have the resources they need in order to do their jobs to the highest level. It is your job to ensure that your team succeeds. Trek Adventures is a small ethical company, with a kind heart and a passion to deliver exceptional holidays. All managers need to agree with this work ethic and support our aim of ensuring that both staff, and guests, thoroughly enjoy their time with us. This is an incredible opportunity for the right individual to make their mark in the leisure industry and lead our small friendly team of yachting staff.
As with all staff, at the beginning of your season, you will receive a full induction including key information such things as Product Information, Management Skills, Paperwork Processes and Sailing Area Orientation. During your training you will create your weekly routine template. This routine will help you to cover all aspects of your job role as outlined in this description. Of course the nature of your job means that all routines will need to be flexible, but working from a weekly template is a strong starting point for achieving your season goals.
We will happily accept individual requests for training in order to help each team member, including managers, reach their best potential and enjoy their job role to the full.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
- Develop a thorough understanding of our brand, overseas operations and products
- Pre-season preparations for all yachts
- Assume overall responsibility and ownership for the effective running of yachting products
- Ensure all activities adhere to IYT and Trek Guidelines
- Ensure all activities meet local health, hygiene and safety standards inclusive of Port Police requirements
- Management and motivation of staff and guests – a happy team is everything
- Offer staff incentives and rewards as and when needed and deserved
- Liaise with local Operations Manager regarding staff rotas including evening social programs and staff holiday allowance.
- Ensure that the level of customer service, the appearance of the staff and atmosphere created is always, professional, friendly, safe and enjoyable
- Oversee and be involved in the delivery of guest welcome and boat briefings
- Remain vigilant to the overall presentation of the fleet throughout the week with great attention to detail
- Communicate activities with guests via chart table info packs, notice boards and briefings
- Organise staff transportation, for example engineer travel to the flotilla
- Monitor local supply purchases
- Cover for staff days off/illness when required
- Implement staff disciplinary procedures when needed
- Planning and organising pre-season and ongoing staff training programmes
- Ensure all new staff receive thorough and timely inductions
- Ensure staff training records are kept up to date and used as an important tool for staff development
- Carry out staff training
- Motivate and mentor staff
- Implement exceptional guest training programs and actively monitor standards of training and test completion
- Implement exceptional flotilla and day yacht planning processes and actively monitor the standard of delivery
- On free sailing days ensure experienced staff are on duty to support guests within their plans, coaching needs and mooring
- On free sailing days ensure the guests combination of conditions, plans and ability are suitable
- Provide rescue cover on free sailing days
- Foresee guests needs and aim to be as flexible as possible to requests
- Be available to all guests (local and flotilla based) as much as possible and deal with guest enquiries
- Deal with any guests’ complaints in a timely and positive fashion
- Update company operating procedures as and when needed
- Ensure operating procedures are understood and adhered to by the whole team
- Update risk assessments at the start, middle and end of each season and as and when needed
- Ensure risk assessments are understood and adhered to by the whole team
- Plan daily and weekly staff meetings – in person or via phone for remote staff
- Be a key holder and be responsible for security – where applicable
- Check emails every day and communicate regularly with line managers
- Complete essential resort paperwork
- Complete weekly Manager Reports
- Review weekly KPI report and implement actions in a timely fashion
- Monitor staff accommodation with regular inspections
- Be responsible for the cleanliness and usage of the Yacht Guest Apartment
- For legal reasons ensure maintenance records are always accurate
- Ensure all preventative maintenance is carried out as per checklists
- Ensure all broken equipment is fixed within the shortest possible time frame
- Update the COSHH file and procedures each season and ensure all staff understand the use of this data
- Monitor accident forms and implement any necessary actions
- Ensure Port Police boat papers are delivered in a timely manner
- Understand all local contracts, such as with yacht owners or landlords and ensure you are adhering to them.
- Be flexible in your job role and willing to assist in all other duties requested by your manager.
- Management or Team Leadership Experience within Hospitality or Watersports
(minimum of 2 years preferable)
- RYA Coastal Skipper
- RYA Yacht Master (desirable)
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
- Valid First Aid Certificate
- Yachting teaching experience and qualifications
- Confident and highly capable in onwater rescue and safety techniques
- Dinghy teaching experience and qualifications (desirable)
- Yacht Maintenance experience (with strong skills in routine preventative maintenance)
- Clean DBS check
- Proven track record of excellent customer service skills
- Ability to fulfil the Yacht Trainer Instructor job description
- Ability to fulfil the Flotilla Mate job description
- Ability to fulfil the Flotilla Skipper job description (desirable)
- Clean and tidy appearance
- Natural motivator
- Confident at public speaking
- Over 25 years of age
- Valid driving license
- Competitive salary: Plus a bonus scheme for managers.
- Flights: To and from Greece at the start and end of your contract.
- Transfers in Greece: Between the airport and your accommodation at the start and end of your contract.
- Accommodation: Self contained apartment.
- Utility Bills: Accommodation bills are paid by the Company.
- Insurance: Whilst working you are covered under our Public Liability and Professional Indemnity policies. In addition you will need to take out personal travel insurance for injury and belongings.
- Uniform: T-shirts are provided for working hours. Please provide your own clean, presentable, suitable shorts.
- Day Off: All staff work a six day week, with the exception of Flotilla Staff. Flotilla working patterns are detailed at interview.
- Holiday Allowance: In addition to one day off each week, you will receive a set number of holiday days, dependant on the length of your contract.
- Travel to Work: Transport options are provided for all staff working outside of the local area.
- Watersports Equipment: All staff have free access to all watersports equipment, in line with the Company safety policies and procedures.
- Yacht Use: All staff have free access to yachts, when booking availability allows and in line with the Company safety policies and procedures.
- Hotel facilities: All staff have free access to our beach club facilities such as swimming pools and table tennis.
- Watersports Staff Lunch: Lunch is provided at the beach clubs for all watersports staff on working days.
- Yacht Staff Lunch: Details are provided upon application or at interview.
- Staff Discount: All staff receive a discount on food and drink at our Beach Clubs.
- Activity Discounts: All staff receive discounts at our local partners for activities such as Scuba Diving, Waterski, Wakeboarding and Yoga.
- Friends and Family Discount for Trek Holidays: F&F discounts are available for use outside of peak season.
- Mystic Watersports Discount: All staff are entitled to 40% off RRP on Mystic Watersports apparel if purchasing through our Trek discount process.
- Training: All staff receive a comprehensive induction on arrival to ensure you are confident and happy in your job role. Throughout the season you will be offered further training and development opportunities.
- Training Bursary: All staff automatically qualify for a £50 training bursary towards job related courses. In addition, all staff have the opportunity to apply for a 50% ‘grant’ for promotion related courses. This grant is only applicable to job related courses which help support the company aims.
- Bikes: Bikes are available for the duration of your contract. They are very basic but good enough to get around the local town on.
- Job Swap: As part of our commitment to staff development we offer hard working staff the opportunity to sample different job roles throughout the season, when operations allow.
The team is everything.
We are always looking for friendly, energetic and approachable individuals to join our amazing team! People who can build rapport with ease and continue to give our guests confidence in the fact that every element of their holiday is being delivered by people that care.
We pride ourselves in offering our staff a different experience. If you want to experience living in Greece and immersing yourself in Greek culture in a small community, you will love this job. Whilst enjoying your work and the lifestyle that comes from living in Greece, you must always be respectful of those around you. This includes your team mates, our guests, our hotel staff, your landlord, your local neighbours and the local community as a whole. We are very fortunate to live and work in such a beautiful part of the world. We are very lucky to be welcomed into the local community. As such we only employ staff that we feel are mature enough to embrace the instructor lifestyle without causing upset or offence to our local friends and neighbours. If you are a mature, hard working, and enthusiastic manager, with a passion for sailing then we’d love to hear from you. You must understand that you are the ‘face of the company’. You will often be the first point of contact between the public and the company. You must ensure that you always promote the centre in a positive and professional way. This applies to both in and out of work hours. You are a role model to your team mates.
Please bear in mind that this job is suitable for someone who is happy to motivate a small team and lead by example. As well as working with our UK team, you will be working alongside the local Greeks. Independence and maturity are essential.
The Yacht Manager must always hold a presence and be recognised as the manager by guests and staff alike. If this all sounds like you, please get in touch today to find out more.