Watersports Resort Manager
Full Season: May to September / Peak Season: July to September
For this very important position, we’re looking for enthusiastic and approachable individuals with a substantial level of experience in the watersports industry. You’ll be able to lead the team to create a fun, professional and safe environment in which to deliver a range of activities to all of our guests. Working under the Watersports Resort Manager in this hands-on role, you will be responsible for the day to day supervision and operation of one of our busy Beach Clubs during the summer season. With the support and guidance of your line manager you will supervise a team of approximately 6 staff.
Your primary aim is to provide a fun, educational and safe environment for our customers to enjoy watersports on a day to day basis. You will be overseeing sessions on the water and ensuring that all activities are strictly adhering to Trek and RYA guidelines. You must have excellent knowledge of RYA procedures. You will be required to teach from time to time but you must be aware that much of your role will be training others to teach and then supervising all tuition and staff activities from the shore or from a safety boat.
You will lead by example and have a ‘hands on’ approach with everyday tasks. Together with the Watersports Manager, you will provide regular training for all staff, and also help the trainee instructors reach their full potential. You will be responsible for motivating the team and promoting a positive team spirit. To help with this aim, you will ensure that wherever possible staff training requests are met and you will organise staff social events. Your hours will be longer than your staff, but you need to remain motivated at all times.
You must also understand that you are the ‘face of the company’ as you will often be the first point of contact between the guests and the company. Being the first port of call for customers and staff you will have a strong front of house presence ensuring any enquiries are dealt with promptly and professionally. Excellent customer service and a friendly approachable style are incredibly important. You must always promote the centre in a positive and professional way. This applies both in and out of working hours. You are a role model to your team mates.
There will also be regular administrative duties. These will generally be dictated by your weekly checklist and will include such tasks and rotas, bookings sheets, health & safety checks and archiving accident forms. This role requires strong organisational skills. Training will be given but it is important to know that you will spend some time doing admin tasks.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
(This list is not exhaustive)
- Plan and manager daily staff meetings
- Ensure staffing levels meet operational needs each day
- Ensure equipment levels meet operational needs each day
- Guide staff to deliver exceptional lessons in a variety of conditions, with a variety of guests
- Be a key holder and be responsible for centre security
- Deal with customer enquiries
- Actively promote activities and generate bookings – and encourage your team to do so too
- Complete your daily and weekly admin checklists
- Perform all duties on the watersports instructor job description
- Complete all staff inductions in a timely manner
- Organise continual staff training
- Oversee all safety procedures and ensure RYA standards are met at all times
- Ensure Trek guidelines are strictly adhered to
- Lead the way in socialising with customers in a fun and professional manner
- Organise staff socials
- Cash handling
- Motivate and mentor staff including awareness of their general welfare
- Implement and monitor staff house rules
- Organise daytime and evening guest social events, such as BBQ’s and volleyball
- Assisting with promotion and delivery of non-inclusive events, such as Yoga, Boat trips or Scuba Diving
- All staff will need to provide their own sun protection – including sun glasses, sun hat and sun cream. You will be expected to make use of these on a daily basis and demonstrate excellent sun care sense to all our guests. As a professional watersports instructor this should be second nature.
- Oversee first aid incidents
- Oversee and implement emergency action plans if needed.
- Embrace your own development and when ready begin to learn management skills
- Welcome clients to the Beach Club and provide welcome and safety briefings
- Liaise with Shore Based Engineer regarding spares and repairs
- Liaise with the Manager regarding any guest feedback and necessary actions required
- ISA / RYA Senior Instructor
- ISA / RYA Windsurf or Dinghy Instructor (preferably both)
- ISA / RYA Powerboat Instructor (desirable)
- ISA / RYA Powerboat Level 2
- Valid First Aid Certificate
- Sup Instructor (desirable)
- ISA / RYA Multihull Endorsement (desirable)
- Yachting experience/Qualifications (desirable)
- Clean DBS check
- Experience working within a watersports operation
- Experience of being responsible for safety standards
- Previous customer service experience
- Skilled in safety and on the water rescue techniques
- Competent Swimmer
- Clean and tidy appearance
- Natural motivator
- Over 20 years of age
- Excellent customer service skills
- Valid UK or International driving license
- Competitive Salary: With 2nd year increase for returning staff.
- Flights: To and from Greece at the start and end of your contract.
- Transfers in Greece: Between the airport and your accommodation at the start and end of your contract.
- Accommodation: 2 people in each bedroom with a communal kitchen and shared bathroom facilities.
- Utility Bills: Accommodation bills are paid by the Company.
- Insurance: Whilst working you are covered under our Public Liability and Professional Indemnity policies. In addition, you will need to take out personal travel insurance for injury and belongings.
- Uniform: T-shirts are provided for working hours. Please provide your own clean, presentable, suitable shorts.
- Day Off: All staff work a six day week, with the exception of Flotilla Staff. Flotilla working patterns are detailed at interview.
- Holiday Allowance: In addition to one day off each week, you will receive a set number of holiday days, dependant on the length of your contract.
- Travel to Work: Transport options are provided for all staff working outside of the local area.
- Watersports Equipment: All staff have free access to all watersports equipment, in line with the Company safety policies and procedures.
- Yacht Use: All staff have free access to yachts when booking availability allows and in line with the Company safety policies and procedures.
- Hotel facilities: All staff have free access to our beach club facilities such as swimming pools and table tennis.
- Watersports Staff Lunch: Lunch is provided at the beach clubs for all watersports staff on working days.
- Yacht Staff Lunch: Details are provided upon application or at interview.
- Staff Discount: All staff receive a discount on food and drink at our Beach Clubs.
- Activity Discounts: All staff receive discounts at our local partners for activities such as Scuba Diving, Waterski, Wakeboarding and Yoga.
- Friends and Family Discount for Trek Holidays: F&F discounts are available for use outside of peak season.
- Mystic Watersports Discount: All staff are entitled to 40% off RRP on Mystic Watersports apparel if purchasing through our Trek discount process.
- Training: All staff receive a comprehensive induction on arrival to ensure you are confident and happy in your job role. Throughout the season you will be offered further training and development opportunities.
- Training Bursary: All staff automatically qualify for a £50 training bursary towards job-related courses. In addition, all staff have the opportunity to apply for a 50% ‘grant’ for promotion related courses. This grant is only applicable to job related courses which help support the company aims.
- Bikes: Bikes are available for the duration of your contract. They are very basic but good enough to get around the local town on.
- Job Swap: As part of our commitment to staff development we offer hard-working staff the opportunity to sample different job roles throughout the season when operations allow.
The team is everything.
We want to employ people who can build rapport with ease and continue to give our guests confidence in the fact that every element of their holiday is being delivered by people that care.
Whilst enjoying your work and the lifestyle that comes from living in Greece, you must always be respectful of those around you. This includes your team mates, our guests, our hotel staff, your landlord, your local neighbours and the local community as a whole. We are very fortunate to live and work in such a beautiful part of the world. We are very lucky to be welcomed into the local community. As such we only employ staff that we feel are mature enough to embrace the instructor lifestyle without causing upset or offence to our local friends and neighbours. If you are a mature, hard working, enthusiastic and fun instructor, with a passion for watersports then we’d love to hear from you.