Watersports Resorts Manager
April to November (possibly full year)
If you’re a natural leader who thrives under a little pressure, this is the job for you.
We offer this exceptional opportunity to a confident, self-motivated manager with strong leadership skills and a commitment to providing outstanding customer service. You will need a wealth of experience within the hotel, leisure and watersports industries. This combination of experience will help to ensure that all aspects of our guests holidays are delivered to the highest standards. The Watersports Resort Manager is responsible for all operations at our beach clubs. You will work closely with our hotel owners and their employees to ensure the same high standards are adhered to not only on the beach but also on the hotel side. A full understanding of all aspects of the guests holiday and a keen eye for detail are essential.
As the Watersports Resort Manager you will be involved in ALL aspects of the guests holiday, from the point of arrival in Greece, to the day they leave. You can consider your role to have 3 key elements: Watersports, Hotel Side and Office Duties.
With regard to the Watersports, your primary aim is to provide a fun, educational and safe environment for our guests to enjoy watersports. In order to do this, you will support and guide our watersports teams to ensure that all activities are strictly adhering to Trek and RYA guidelines. You will mentor the Watersports Supervisor in each resort. You will be responsible for their training and development. You will create a role for each supervisor that promotes their individual strengths and gently nurtures their weaknesses. You will ensure that all activities we offer, both on and off the water, are exceeding guest expectations and that customer service levels are consistently exceptional. You will be required to teach from time to time but you must be aware that much of your role will be shore-based. You will be overseeing the beach operation, but you will also be doing administrative tasks and organising practical events such as staff training, hotel meetings, guest interaction and stock purchasing. You will be expected to be a hands-on member of the watersports team at any time that staff absences require it. This means that being qualified and experienced in all the activities we offer, is hugely advantageous to your application. Even when not covering staff absences you will lead by example and find the time within your weekly routine to offer ‘hands-on’ support at the beach. Together with your supervisor, you will provide regular training for all staff to ensure your team reach their full potential. You will be responsible for motivating your supervisor and promoting a positive team spirit with all staff. Ensuring you have a happy and motivated team is a key aspect of your role. Your hours will be longer than your staff, but you yourself will need to remain motivated at all times, understanding that extra work and extra responsibility is why you receive extra pay. You must also understand that organising staff socials and moral boosters is part of your job. As such this may mean working in the evenings to organise such events as team meals, training or staff awards nights. Staff welfare is a key part of your role.
With regard to your hotel duties, you are the key liaison between Trek and the local hoteliers. You will need to establish a clear understanding of the hoteliers’ needs and working practices in order that you can support their aims alongside the aims of Trek. You will also be the primary line of communication between the guests and the hoteliers. You will need to observe hotel processes and respectfully encourage good systems whilst also pre-empting possible issues.
You will need to take pride in your work and show great attention to detail with regard to such aspects as: guest arrivals, room cleanliness, menu standards, activity timings, clear signage, clear communication systems, appropriate safety measures and optimum facility provision.
With regard to office duties, you will not have a fixed office base but will work in a location of your choice i.e. the beach clubs or your home. You will complete regular administrative, reporting and accounting duties. These will generally be dictated by your ‘weekly manager checklist’ and will include such tasks as: rotas, HR paperwork, flight manifests, excursion bookings, social media, daily manager reports, commission reports, KPI reviews and processing weekly accounts. It is important to note that the manager should be available to contact 24/7. The management team in resort will establish a duty manager rota for antisocial hours to ensure that one manager is always available as the immediate contact, in the event of an emergency.
You must be inventive and confident in creating ideas that will generate revenue. Generating revenue is a key part of the manager’s job role. Our centres must be performing well financially in order to ensure the centres, and the product as a whole, continue to grow and improve year on year. In resort, you will be working closely with the Yacht Manager and the Greek Operations Manager to understand their job roles and recognise the need for mutual support across the Trek program. You will also work with, and report to, the Uk Operations Manager. Together you will develop new ideas, troubleshoot issues and be passionate about maintaining exceptional standards at all times. You will also work closely with a number of local people including suppliers, hoteliers, and landlords. You must therefore be a fantastic communicator. You must be confident to form professional, respectful relationships with a variety of people across a variety of roles.
Balancing all 3 aspects of your role requires strong admin skills, strong time management skills and strong organisational skills. It is essential that you have some office-based skills before taking on this role. You will always be looking ahead, planning for future weeks and ensuring that your team have the resources they need in order to do their jobs to the highest level. It is your job to ensure that your supervisor and your team succeed. Trek Adventures is a small ethical company, with a kind heart and a passion to deliver exceptional holidays. All managers need to agree with this work ethic and support our aim of ensuring that both staff, and guests, thoroughly enjoy their time with us. This is an incredible opportunity for the right individual to make their mark in the leisure industry and lead our small friendly team of watersports staff.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
(This list is not exhaustive)
- Develop a thorough understanding of our brand, overseas operations and products
- Pre-season build-up and development of both resorts ready for opening
- Planning and organising pre-season and ongoing training programmes
- Assume overall responsibility and ownership for the effective running of the watersports resorts
- Ensure all watersports and hotel activities meet local health, hygiene and safety standards inclusive of Port Police requirements
- Management and motivation of beach staff and guests – a happy team is everything
- Support beach supervisors with the organisation of beach staff rotas and activity programs
- Ensure that the level of customer service, the appearance of the staff and atmosphere on the beach and hotels is friendly, safe and enjoyable
- Guest welcome and safety briefings
- Always interact with guests on a formal and informal level and immediately resolve any issues they might have
- Communicate activities with guests by updating rooms notes, information files, notice boards and briefings
- Organise staff transportation
- Monitor local supply purchases
- Covering for staff days off/illness if required
- Implement staff disciplinary procedures when needed
- Ensure all new staff receive thorough and timely inductions
- Ensure staff training records are kept up to date and used as an important tool for staff development
- Carry out staff training
- Motivate and mentor staff
- Foresee guests needs and aim to be as flexible as possible to requests
- Be available to guests as much as possible and deal with guest enquiries
- Deal with any guests’ complaints in a timely and positive fashion
- Update centre operating procedures as and when needed
- Ensure operation procedures are understood and adhered to by the whole team
- Update risk assessments at the start, middle and end of each season and as and when needed
- Ensure risk assessments are understood and adhered to by the whole team
- Read and thoroughly understand all relevant RYA guidelines (inc safeguarding, ICC etc )
- Plan daily staff meetings – with supervisor
- Plan daily and weekly logistics of staffing, kit allocation, bookings, maintenance, holiday allowance, travel etc – with supervisor
- Be a key holder and be responsible for centre security
- Actively sell non-exclusive activities and generate bookings – encourage your team to do so too
- Check emails every day and communicate regularly with line managers
- Complete essential resort paperwork
- Keep track of the staff holiday calculator
- Offer staff incentives and rewards as and when needed and deserved
- Complete daily and weekly Manager Reports
- Complete weekly Commission Report
- Review weekly KPI report and implement actions in a timely fashion
- Monitor staff accommodation with regular inspections and landlord meetings
- For legal reasons ensure maintenance records are always accurate
- Ensure all preventative maintenance is carried out as per checklists
- Ensure all broken equipment is fixed within the shortest possible time frame
- Update the COSHH file and procedures each season and ensure all staff understand the use of this data
- Monitor accident forms and implement any necessary actions
- Complete inventories and stock takes
- Liaise with hotel or site managers and ensure that all parties are working together for the benefit of all parties
- Understand all local contracts, such as with land owners or hoteliers and ensure you are adhering to them
- Management or Team Leadership Experience within Hospitality or Watersports
(minimum of 2 years preferable)
- ISA / RYA Senior Instructor
- ISA / RYA Windsurf or Dinghy Instructor (preferably both)
- ISA / RYA Powerboat Instructor (desirable)
- ISA / RYA Powerboat Level 2
- Valid First Aid Certificate
- Sup Instructor (desirable)
- ISA / RYA Multihull Endorsement (desirable)
- Yachting experience/Qualifications (desirable)
- Clean DBS check
- Experience in hosting RYA Inspections
- Proven track record of excellent customer service skills
- Ability to fulfil the Watersports Instructor job description
- Ability to fulfil the Watersports Supervisor job description
- Clean and tidy appearance
- Natural motivator
- Confident at public speaking
- Over 25 years of age
- Valid UK or International driving license
What We Offer
- Competitive salary: Plus a bonus scheme for managers.
- Flights: To and from Greece at the start and end of your contract.
- Transfers in Greece: Between the airport and your accommodation at the start and end of your contract.
- Accommodation: Self-contained apartment.
- Utility Bills: Accommodation bills are paid by the Company.
- Insurance: Whilst working you are covered under our Public Liability and Professional Indemnity policies. In addition you will need to take out personal travel insurance for injury and belongings.
- Uniform: T-shirts are provided for working hours. Please provide your own clean, presentable, suitable shorts.
- Day Off: All staff work a six day week, with the exception of Flotilla Staff. Flotilla working patterns are detailed at interview.
- Holiday Allowance: In addition to one day off each week, you will receive a set number of holiday days, dependant on the length of your contract.
- Travel to Work: Transport options are provided for all staff working outside of the local area.
- Watersports Equipment: All staff have free access to all watersports equipment, in line with the Company safety policies and procedures.
- Yacht Use: All staff have free access to yachts, when booking availability allows and in line with the Company safety policies and procedures.
- Hotel facilities: All staff have free access to our beach club facilities such as swimming pools and table tennis.
- Watersports Staff Lunch: Lunch is provided at the beach clubs for all watersports staff on working days.
- Yacht Staff Lunch: Details are provided upon application or at interview.
- Staff Discount: All staff receive a discount on food and drink at our Beach Clubs.
- Activity Discounts: All staff receive discounts at our local partners for activities such as Scuba Diving, Waterski, Wakeboarding and Yoga.
- Friends and Family Discount for Trek Holidays: F&F discounts are available for use outside of peak season.
- Mystic Watersports Discount: All staff are entitled to 40% off RRP on Mystic Watersports apparel if purchasing through our Trek discount process.
- Training: All staff receive a comprehensive induction on arrival to ensure you are confident and happy in your job role. Throughout the season you will be offered further training and development opportunities.
- Training Bursary: All staff automatically qualify for a £50 training bursary towards job related courses. In addition, all staff have the opportunity to apply for a 50% ‘grant’ for promotion related courses. This grant is only applicable to job related courses which help support the company aims.
- Bikes: Bikes are available for the duration of your contract. They are very basic but good enough to get around the local town on.
- Job Swap: As part of our commitment to staff development we offer hard working staff the opportunity to sample different job roles throughout the season, when operations allow.
The team is everything.
We are always looking for friendly, energetic and approachable individuals to join our amazing team! People who can build rapport with ease and continue to give our guests confidence in the fact that every element of their holiday is being delivered by people that care.
We pride ourselves in offering our staff a different experience. If you want to experience living in Greece and immersing yourself in Greek culture in a small community, you will love this job. Whilst enjoying your work and the lifestyle that comes from living in Greece, you must always be respectful of those around you. This includes your team mates, our guests, our hotel staff, your landlord, your local neighbours and the local community as a whole. We are very fortunate to live and work in such a beautiful part of the world. We are very lucky to be welcomed into the local community. As such we only employ staff that we feel are mature enough to embrace the instructor lifestyle without causing upset or offence to our local friends and neighbours. If you are a mature, hard-working, and enthusiastic manager, with a passion for watersports then we’d love to hear from you. You must understand that you are the ‘face of the company’. You will often be the first point of contact between the public and the company. You must ensure that you always promote the centre in a positive and professional way. This applies to both in and out of work hours. You are a role model to your teammates.
Please bear in mind that this job is suitable for someone who is happy to motivate a small team and lead by example. As well as working with our UK team, you will be working alongside the local Greeks. Independence and maturity are therefore essential.
The Watersports Manager must always hold a presence and be recognised as the manager by guests and staff alike. If this all sounds like you, please get in touch today to find out more.